What is FDN?
Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® (FDN) is a holistic discipline that employs functional laboratory assessments and interpretations that identify malfunctions and “healing opportunities” at the root of most common health complaints. FDN includes customizing lifestyle & behavior programs which encompass diet, rest, exercise, stress reduction and supplementation recommendations. FDN embraces metabolic individuality and provides a step-by-step method that allows anyone to achieve repeatable, consistent and successful clinical outcomes.
The FDN Certification Course teaches which labs to use and how to interpret the results and natural protocols that build health no matter what the health complaint. Anyone can run labs, but without a complete understanding, most providers end up treating only the test results instead of the person. FDN allows anyone to offer an opt-in model of self-care to his or her clients that is easy to follow and exactly what they have been looking for from a health care provider. FDN protocols are potent, proven, professional and individualized to build health!
What will you Learn?
The Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® Course will teach you:
- How to stop chasing symptoms and identify healing opportunities instead
- Which lab tests uncover dysfunctions at the root of most common health complaints
- An investigative roadmap that leads to clients’ malfunctions and blocking factors
- How to interpret each lab on an individual basis and correlate the results with your client/patient, instead of just treating the lab report
- How to communicate test results and your interpretation to your client in plain English
- Drugless protocols that are safe, potent, proven and professional
- How to make big gains in tough cases and chronic stress related disorders
- How general principles outperform specific treatments
- A business model that is easy to duplicate so that anyone can add FDN to their existing practice or build a stress-free, referral based, waiting-list practice around it
Who Should take the FDN Course?
The FDN course is ideal for:
- Anyone seeking to educate themselves while working on their own health
- Those who want to help themselves and learn to help others too
- All serious health professionals
The FDN Course puts incredible training and clinical tools right in your hands — some of the same tools used by integrative physicians. You’ll receive comprehensive training plus case management assistance on specific functional lab tests and protocols. As your skills increase, so will your successful client outcomes, and so shall you build your reputation and business success.
What do you Get?
- Our unparalleled FDN Mentorship Program
- FDNconnect – Our community and support hub
- Complementary course-related lab work so you can work on yourself
- Medical Director Program
- Support Forums (both trainee and practitioner forums are exceptionally vibrant and active)
- Our weekly Fantasic Friday Call (includes special guest speakers, interviews with successful FDN practitioners, Q and A, and much more)
- Your own unique access to our state of the art Learning Management Platform which makes online learning a simple step-by-step process
Why take the FDN Course?
- The FDN Course is a complete course and provides training in functional lab assessments and patient intake methods that produce individualized, targeted protocols. It addresses how to help clients from beginning to end and provides ALL of the tools needed, including initial contact, results, protocols, follow up documents and instructions.
- The FDN Course mentorship program, unique to FDN, provides an exceptional hands-on learning experiences and opportunities to receive direct guidance. An essential part of the learning process, each trainee experiences being an FDN client, and is allocated to a mentor who, in private consultations, guides them through understanding their own personal lab test results and designs for the trainee a complete custom healing and health-building protocol. In addition, the mentor and trainee will role play in practical exercises with mock clients.
- Robust trainee and graduate community and support hub – The FDNconnect Community is the hub of support and connection for every FDN Trainee and graduate. Within this community are forums, announcements, practitioner files and documents, and many important resources such as countless case studies and weekly live call with FDN Staff and guests. Every trainee becomes part of a wonderful family that offers support as their careers grow.
- The FDN Course is 100% online with 24/7 access, and is self-paced within a 12 month time frame. It typically takes 3-4 months to complete if working at a pace of 5-8 hours a week. Trainees enjoy an exceptional coursework experience using our Learning Management System that provides step by step, intuitive movement through the coursework and makes the learning experience.
- Free access to current and updated course materials, practitioner files, and practitioner resources is extended to all active FDN Practitioners. Each FDN Practitioner is eligible for association membership.
More on the FDN Paradigm:
The certainty of the FDN paradigm is illustrated in the following example.
Ms. Smith came to us with complaints of chronic joint pain (already diagnosed with and treating for arthritis symptoms), muscle pain (diagnosed and treating for fibromyalgia), skin problems (psoriasis) and digestive issues (gastritis). She was also presenting with mild depression and fatigue.
When her doctor suggested that she start taking yet another medication (anti-depressants), Ms. Smith got fed up with the diagnosis and treatment options being offered. In essence, her biggest complaint was no longer the pain and discomfort she was experiencing, it was the current medical treatment and run-around she felt she was receiving. In her eyes, the medical model itself was contributing to a downward spiral in her quality of life.
Needless to say, when Ms. Smith opted to hire a skilled FDN practitioner, her entire outlook changed almost overnight. The FDN orientation gave her new insights and the motivation she needed to do something different, to take control of her own health. And the end results were nothing less than miraculous.
Our view of symptoms like joint pain, muscle pain, bad skin, gastric bloating and every other health complaint, is that they all have causal factors to be investigated. Even in tough cases, opportunities for physical repair, restoration and healing can be great and the opportunities to employ FDN protocols are abundant.
On the other hand, masking a symptom allows the underlying condition to deteriorate, to get worse. Palliative care is important, but if that’s all you provide then the patient may weaken and soon you’ll need stronger and stronger medication. Eventually, surgery may become necessary. Something I noticed a long time ago, once body parts are removed, they become quite difficult to restore to normal function.
FDN is a type of detective work that seeks to identify and correct the underlying causes and conditions that lead to the client’s or patient’s health complaints. In that sense, FDN is not diagnosing or treating any disease nor practicing medicine. At once, this sits very well with the lay-practitioner.
For licensed providers, any concerns about standard of care conflicts are unwarranted. The truth is, integrating FDN forces us to raise the bar some. Everything we do is science and evidence based. Skeptical colleagues should be more concerned that we have reached a new standard of care, and the only conflict is that they are losing their patient base to our good offices.
We use carefully chosen functional lab work and a complete patient history to investigate underlying malfunctions of the adrenal glands, mucosal barrier, detoxification systems, metabolic processes, absorption and assimilation, immune and defense mechanisms and steroid hormone balance to name a few. We don’t go overboard, just a handful of labs really. When data from these labs plus other clues are correctly interpreted and correlated, the healing opportunities are revealed.
We guarantee that FDN gives licensed and non-licensed providers a leg up on any other health building system. What we mean is, take any system you are currently using and add FDN methods, and you should arrive at a whole new level. Your ability to help people will be multiplied several times over. At least this is true for our demographic.
We do not routinely deal with acute or heroic interventions. If someone is having an appendicitis attack, or caught in the throes of passing a kidney stone, by all means they should head for the nearest emergency room. If they just got hit by a truck, someone should call a lawyer, err, we mean ambulance.
The truth is, we can’t know the exact results each person will achieve because we don’t control everything. We don’t use powerful drugs that artificially control blood pressure, for instance. Our natural therapies require time for the body to heal, to return to normal function. We trust that the body wants to return to homeostasis, good health, and every effort is made to assist it to do so. Therefore, we manage our clients’ expectations carefully, as well as our own.
Educating patients and clients how to get well and stay well is our paramount task. That means teaching them, not to ignore symptoms, but to realize their symptoms are only signals from the body that something is wrong. And if the patient will give us a chance to investigate, we may be able to determine what is really wrong. But, again, we do not control outcomes. Course corrections are part of the program. Our ability to get agreement on this single reality may determine the satisfaction we’ll achieve with each one of our patients or clients.
The step-by-step intake and acceptance method taught in the FDN Certification Courses works perfectly. In the case above, Ms. Smith was aware enough, and tired enough of chasing symptoms that she was willing to engage in a new process. She knew, on a gut level, that she had to get to the underlying causes. So the FDN orientation was music to her ears. Others require a little more effort. But in every case, before we accept anyone as a client, they will know exactly how we’re going to help them, and what they can and cannot expect.