Italian food is one of the most popular types of food around. And spaghetti sauce is a staple ingredient in many common Italian recipes. But, If you have ever read food labels on most store bought, jarred spaghetti sauces, you know that many contain added refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup. When you are trying to eat healthy and avoiding added sugar, these jarred sauces just aren’t going to work! But you can take charge of the food you eat because there is a better option…make your own spaghetti sauce! It gives you peace of mind to know exactly what is going into your sauce and into your body.
This is important while you are working on helping your body heal. Added refined sugar can increase inflammation, continue the blood sugar roller coaster and keep your hormones out of whack!
This is a simple, basic spaghetti sauce recipe that you can use for any Italian recipes that call for spaghetti sauce. If you can, use organic, canned tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes that are in BPA free cans. More and more companies are offering this and it helps to keep you away from this toxic, hormone disrupting chemical. Some companies who offer BPA free cans include:
- EarthPure Organic Tomatoes
- Muir Glen
- Trader Joe’s Brand
- Whole Food’s “365 Everyday Value” Brand
- Eden Foods (only the tomatoes in glass containers)
More companies are changing their policies on BPA and are phasing out use of the chemical regularly, so this list is by no means all inclusive.
This homemade spaghetti sauce is naturally gluten free, grain free and Paleo too. It also freezes well, so you can make larger batches and freeze in recipe sized portions.
One great meal option for this sauce is to add some cooked grass fed ground beef, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper to create a lovely spaghetti with meat sauce. Serve it over zucchini pasta or spaghetti squash and top with some grated raw cheese if you tolerate dairy.
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes-no salt added
- 8 oz can tomato sauce-no salt added
- 6 oz can tomato paste-no salt added
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 3-4 cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp ground basil
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 3 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch allspice
- Mix all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir well.
- Cook over medium heat until simmering.
- Allow to simmer for at least 15-20 minutes.